North of Rome, the quarter of Flaminio spreads from the Tiber river and Via Consolare Flaminio to the Ponte Milvio.
Today a fashionable residential area, Flaminio was a rural area up until the early 1900s, when in 1905 the Association of Automobiles Rome decided to open an industrial center in the area. In 1911 the World Expo gave the quarter further value and the National Stadium and the National Gallery of Modern Art (GNAM) were built. During the Fascist period the Foro Italico was built and it remains to this day the main sports facility in Italy.
The Palazzetto dello Sport and the Stadio Flaminio were built for the 1960s Olympics, cementing Flaminio's place at the center of Rome's sporting scene. Building to increase the number of cultural events in the area was undertaken in the 1990s, resulting in buildings such as the auditorium - Parco della Musica and the museum of contemporary art, the Maxxi. In 2010 the most recent masterpiece of urban architecture, the Ponte della Musica, which joins Flaminio to the Foro Italico, was inaugurated.
One of the best known of Rome's squares, home to the Flaminian Obelisk, brought to Rome from Egypt by the Emperor Augusto. Looking onto this square, at the foot of the Pincio, is the celebrated Church of Santa Maria del popolo which houses the "Conversion of Saint Paul" by Caravaggio.
One of the biggest squares in Rome, in its center stands the Flaminian Obelisk, brought from Egypt during the reign of Emperor Augusto.
Property of the Borghese Family up until 1901, it houses many culturally interesting buildings, such as the casina dell'orologio (little house of clocks) and the orangery.
A large park which overlooks the Piazza del Popolo, it was home to many of the grand villas of ancient Rome. Canova and Valadier collaborated on creating its current look.
A museum dedicated to children, it is designed to allow the exploration of science and the world of adults, through play.
Built in the 1800s, the museum houses a collection of treasures from the ancient civilization which populated Lazio in pre-Roman times.
The zoo, which was founded in 1908, was transformed into a biopark to host animals in risk of extinction in 1994, in order to facilitate reproduction.
The national gallery of modern and contemporary art, or GNAM, is situated in Valle Giulia, beside the Villa Borghese, and houses work by important modern artists such as Fattori, Van Gogh, Courbet and Degas.
Not far from the Trevi Fountain you can find the National Museum of Pasta which tells the history of the main ingredient in Italian cuisine across 11 rooms of exhibition.
The impressive Marina Palace was built between 1912 and 1928 and designed Giulio Magni, grandson of the great Valadier.
This church of Romanesque style, was built in 1913 by Pope Pius X to mark the sixteenth anniversary of the Edict of Milan.
A votive church built by Pope Julius III as a sign of gratitude for his successful flight from Rome to the detriment of the mercenaries.
Also known as "Ponte Mollo", this bridge became famous for the battle between Maxentius and Constantine, where the latter had a divine vision.
Originally called Porta Flaminia, this gate took eventually took its name from the square which it overlooks. It has been subject of several architectural interventions during centuries and its designers include prominent artists such as Nanni di Baccio Bigio, follower of Michelangelo, and Bernini.
This oratory was built next to a newspaper stand and resting on four columns. The statue of St. Andrew, sculpted by Paolo Taccone in 1463, can be admired in front of it.
Inaugurated in 2010 this museum occupies the area of the former Montello barracks on Via Guido Reni. The museum was built by the design of architect Zaha Hadid.