Located on the highest of the seven hills of Rome, this huge palazzo was used as the papal summer residence until 1870 when it was allocated to the King of Italy. In 1946, it became the official residence of the President of the Italian Republic.
On Republic Day (2 June) the gardens are opened to the public. The Quirinal Stables (Tel 06 696270; www.scuderiequirinale.it; Via XXIV Maggio 16) are built over the still partially visible ruins of a grandiose Roman temple dedicated to Serapis. In 1997 the Municipality of Rome was appointed to manage the building and commissioned Gae Aulenti to design a new exhibition area for the organization of temporary exhibitions.
Some of our apartments are a few minutes walk from Palazzo Quirinale: